Close to Blackgang, near the southern tip of the Island, Chale is a farming community with a magnificent pub. Chale is just off the military road which runs along the back of the island to Freshwater Bay providing superb views.
Chale, referred to in the Domesday Book as Cela, also comprises Chale Green and Blackgang and lies at the foot of St. Catherines Down which has possibly some of the finest coastline scenery in Southern England.
In the days of sail Chale had a terrible reputation, because of the number of ships driven ashore there. In October, 1836, the Clarendon,was smashed to pieces in a great storm, with the loss of all but three of her crew. The local hostelry, known as the "White Mouse", was enlarged from the timbers salvaged from the wreck, and re-named the "Clarendon". In later years it reverted back to the "Wight Mouse".
See also http://www.chale.org.uk