Sports and Activities on the Isle of Wight
The Isle of Wight is ideal for many outdoor sports.It has the home of yachting at Cowes and is a favourite location for hang and paragliding and mountain biking. Sports available include:
- Angling - many local clubs. Commercial boat trips available from Yarmouth and Bembridge
- Archery - two local clubs
- Athletics/Running- three local clubs
- Bowls - many local clubs and municipal greens
- Canoeing - two local clubs. River and sea canoeing with great cliff views
- Cricket - many teams with local summer league and indoor cricket in winter
- Cycling - local clubs for road and mountain biking. Cycleway and cross country trails. See our Cycling Section for lots more information and upcoming events
- Football - many local clubs with leagues for all ages from 9 upwards. See Newport FC Website
- Gliding - Vectis Gliding Club operating from Bembridge airport
- Golf - eight local clubs. Visitors welcome. Great views at Ventnor.
The Farringford Hotel, Freshwater Bay has a Par 3, 9 hole private course, free for residents.
- Hang and Paragliding - local clubs. Paragliding school at www.high-adventure.uk.com
- Hockey - two local clubs
- Martial Arts - Club based in Ryde.
- Model Cars (Radio Controlled) - two local clubs
- Model Flying - three local clubs. Great open downs to fly from
- Netball - six local clubs
- Orienteering - Wight Orienteers website, the place were you can find out about Orienteering on the Isle of Wight
- Petanque - many local clubs based on a pub league
- Riding - Brickfields Horse Country Riding. One local club but lots of commercial stables. Great hacks on the downs
- Rowing - three local clubs. Mainly sea rowing
- Rugby - 3 clubs including IWRFC at Wootton (mens, minis & ladies teams)
- Running - West Wight Road Runners sponsored by Wightlink - affiliated to S.E.A.A. and Hampshire A.A. If you enjoy running then why not come along to our varied club nights. Wednesdays 6.30 p.m. (7 p.m in summer months) venues change so contact: Terry Whale on tel: 752892 or e-mail email@example.com short runs, long runs and nominated runs from ages 10 to 100. A warm and friendly atmosphere with no pressured routines. Just turn up and do what you want - we will help in any way possible.
- Sailing - many local clubs from the Royal Yacht Squadron to dinghy clubs.
See our Sailing Section for more information
Sub-aqua - four local clubs. Good diving on the south coast of the Island
- Surfing - best is usually Compton Bay but Shanklin good sometimes. Check out the real-time Surf forecast on our Compton Bay page.
- Swimming - four local clubs and indoor heated pools open to all
- Tennis - seven local clubs and many municipal courts open to the public
- Tree Climbing Adventures - Goodleaf Recreational Tree Climbing offers you the opportunity to enjoy a fantastic couple of hours climbing ancient trees on private land. Under full instruction from a qualified arborist you will soon be swinging between the branches and seeing the Island from a new perspective.
- Walking - wonderful walking country - see our Walking Section for more information
- Waterski Club www.RebelMarine.co.uk www.SolentSeaSafaris.com
- Watersports Hire - Sailing Dinghy Hire, Kayak Hire, Paddle Board (SUP) Hire, www.RebelMarine.co.uk www.SolentSeaSafaris.com
- Watersports Tuition - Power Boat Tuition, Sailing Tuition www.RebelMarine.co.uk www.SolentSeaSafaris.com
- Windsurfing - great. Can choose the best side of the Island for the prevailing wind