Wootton's main attraction is its creek which meanders on both sides of the busy main road leading from Newport to Ryde. Upstream it is surrounded by green fields and copses with a few walks especially popular with dog owners. Downstream a different picture exists of small boatyards and pleasure craft dotted around. At the mouth of the creek, where it meets the Solent, is the Fishbourne car ferry taking passengers to Portsmouth. The crossing takes approximately 35 minutes.
Wootton was recorded in the Domesday Book, and was once held by Queen Edith, wife of Edward the Confessor. In 1331 it included a warren, and a "fishery in the arm of the sea", which was presumably Wootton Creek
A tide mill stood at the head of the creek, by the Sloop Inn, and the mill dam is the causeway now carrying the road. This was one of six or seven tidal mills on the Island and a barge brought corn to be ground here from Southampton, and the flour was transported all over the Island. Sadly, the mill ceased working in 1945, and was demolished in 1962.