Northwood - lies between Cowes and Newport on the A3020,and the original village was situated down Chawton Lane, adjacent to the 12th century Anglican church of St.John the Baptist. This is a Grade 2 listed building, and is clearly sign-posted on the left hand side travelling towards Newport. Luton farm adjacent to the original village, is mentioned in the Domesday Book, and Nodes farm and Comforts farm appear on 18th century maps.
The village has three well known inns, the Horseshoe, the Travellers Joy and the Flowerpot which is now a private house on Newport Road. The Horseshoe (which is very old) was once known as the Half-way House, and the Travellers Joy (which was once a thatched ale house) have survived the centuries. The 19th century saw a population increase with industries, such as the gravelpits at Furzyhurst, and the brickyards at Hillis, Werrar and the lower end of Oxford Street,enlarging.
There was a wheelwright and forge next to the Horseshoe, and another forge down Pallance Road. The County Primary school on Wyatts Lane, built in 1885, had to be enlarged 50 years later.