A few mile south of Newport, Gatcombe lies on the road towards Chillerton, Chale and the south coast. The village is small and is off the main road, giving pleasant walks in the countryside and up on to the downs.
This village is recorded in the Domesday Book, and has been connected with Chillerton (also mentioned) using their various amenities for quite a long time. The 13th century Church was built at Gatcombe by the Estur family as a chapel to Gatcombe Manor, which was partly rebuilt in 1750 by the Worsley family, who then owned it.
There is no "pub" as such in the village, but a house known as Verandah Villa, was once used as a beer house. The two villages are even more firmly connected as they work together in the Best Kept Village competition, which they have won three times.
Gatcombe Park has been the venue in the past for Jazz Festivals.